kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Alligator snapper behavior

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Accomplice on March 09, 2003 at 14:06:19:

In Reply to: Alligator snapper behavior posted by Jud on March 07, 2003 at 23:34:09:

I haven't owned any long enough to know if calm yearlings become calm adults. I tend to think that they would remain fairly calm with regular exposure to you. I've owned some hatchlings that have grown to 6-7 inch size. Those seemed to get more and more docile as they grew. I now have an adult male that I have never seen display the open mouth defense. I've only had it for a few months and he's been brumation most of that time. I'll continue to assume that he's potentially the nastiest turtle on earth. I figure I stand a good chance of losing fingers the minute I get lazy about his potential to do bodily harm. He can be nice for the next decade and I'll still try to never put myself in a position to have to trust my health to his good nature.

Kevin
:I've had my first ally for almost a year now. Got him as hatchling & he is doing well. He is extremely tame in my opinion. He never opens his mouth when I pick him up. He never tries to snap. This is fine with me, but is this something he would grow out of or is this a good sign that he will be pretty mellow?

:Jud

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]