kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: To Correctly Pick Him UP

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Accomplice on October 30, 2002 at 14:48:19:

In Reply to: To Correctly Pick Him UP posted by Gamera on October 30, 2002 at 14:45:24:

Thanks for the info. I used that technique based on all the pics of them being handled that way. He tried to get me when I was touching the left side of his shell to turn him around. He knew something he didn't like was on his left side and he tried to get his jaws on it.

:Hey Kev-

:You probably already know, but just in case (don't want you to ask Santa for new fingers this Xmas).

:Make sure you grab him from the front of his carapace (directly behind his head with your fingers curled beneath the roof of his top shell) and your other hand grabbing the back of his carapace in front of his tail.

:I have had no probs picking up my turtles this way. Unlike commons, most ali'snaps will not thrust their necks out to get your hands while are being lifted. Alot of hissing and mouth gapin goin on though.

:Gam

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]