kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Northern Blue Tongue Skink Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Skink Forum ]

Posted by modsquad5150 on April 23, 2003 at 23:40:46:

In Reply to: Re: Northern Blue Tongue Skink Questions posted by countvv on April 21, 2003 at 16:09:24:

:).

::My first is what is the recommended tank size for a single adult male? 100 Gallon minumum. This guy should get 2' long. I had mine in a 50 gallon tub and this was way too small. The enclosure I have now is 6'x 3'(height does not matter)

:I offer food every day. In cooler temps they may only nibble at it but generally they they gorge themselves. I have heard of people that only feed them every other day.

:I offer mine veggies everyday but it really seems like they consume 85% meat. Fish, boiled chicken, boiled eggs (less yoke), adult low fat dog food are all good choices. Feed them a variety. By far the BTS favorite food is snails. I use the can of snails by zoomed.

:hope this helps
:

Ok some may tell you that you can get by with a 40 gallon tank...but i say if your going to house a bts just b/c it tolerates that you don't want to give it thta..i have mine in a 6'2'2 tank, and it is doing great. Now when it comes to feeding, i feed mine a little bit every other day but i never feed the same thing twice in a week. I give it grilled chicken or the tysons in teh can, lean beef, browned turkey meat...i give it banana, i buy a bag of frozen mixed vegetables...and sometimes i mix that in with a senior lamb and rice dog food and my bts's love that...i tried fish but they don't respond to it...the only fish they sometiems take is feeder gold fish...but variety is key...you can even give pinks if it will take them...i give them pinks like twice a month...but variety is usually the healthiest way to go...stay away from feeding dog food too much..and yes they love snails..i get scungili in the can...they really love it. And thats about it...If your going to put it in a set up..your better off going as big as you can because it will only make the animal thrive better. Some say UVB doesn't help skinks...but it can only help...so i use thta as well...This is my BTS

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Skink Forum ]