kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: The goal of SDHS??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The SDHS Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steve bozsik on January 26, 2001 at 20:42:00:

In Reply to: The goal of SDHS?? posted by Barry on January 26, 2001 at 20:17:50:

: Having seen from a distance what seems to be the goal of the "new" SDHS and having received a personal e-mail from the new president, it seems that there is quite a bit more emphasis on conservation than captive propogation. If I'm wrong, I welcome a follow up. If this the aim, then having private breeders speak at the meetings is going against the grain isn't it? While we, as a whole, can never do enough to conserve and educate, captive propogation is the only insurance/back-up for animals to survive. Everyone knows that this world is getting bigger, so what are we to say when humans worldwide have encroached on reptile areas and none of these animals were bred, marketed, and are almost extinct or gone completely? "Oh well, we tried". I'm sorry, but that isn't good enough. Just to leave endangered animals in their "endangered" native homes, and put a few on display isn't going to cut it. We need to learn, study, and market those animals that are either difficult to breed or endangered and apply some economics for them to survive. I wish that things could be in a utopian state and animals were protected and abundant, but they aren't. Should anyone have a different stance, I'd appreciate their input. I would think that the goal of the SDHS would be a 50/50 view on this and not lop-sided. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong....

:
: Barry

barry i couldn't agree with you more. as the world go's in the toilet captive propagation of herps even the so called endangered ones is the best solution. too bad lawmakers don't see it this way. i'm not hugging trees by any means but people need to take a special interest in this area. i'm all for conservation to certain degrees but thats it. more of a captive bred effort must be implemented regardless of ridiculous laws that say you can't own certain types of herps. commen sense must be applied as our world grows....thats my little comment for the day....and i'm still not scared to post my name(lol). hey whats up aztec ed!!!!! i missed you at the last meeting. you cooling off and you'll be out in the spring or what?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The SDHS Forum ] [ FAQ ]