kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

patience with feeding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]

Posted by Bluerosy on April 29, 2003 at 11:47:13:

In Reply to: My rosy won't eat!!! (long) posted by markg on April 29, 2003 at 09:51:02:

I would have to concur that the mid bajas are very shy so holding him is not a good idea. I think your rosys is probably just fine. Sometimes they can be a little finicky to get going after a move. Some of my San felipes '02 just started eating last week. They sometimes go 3 weeks without. Sometimes it takes a little time to get some individual rosys started really well. Once size has been put on them though watch out! Because they will eat every chance (every three days) they get.
My advice is stay patient and wait three weeks to a month , But keep trying the pinks, fussies left in overnight. If the rosy has not eaten by then post here again.
There is also a weird trick you might use and that is put a fuzzy in there. Sometimes the hair on the fuzzy and the activity level of a fuzzy spurs on a feeding response. They ssm to run around the cage where a pink just sits there in one place.....Try a larger meal next time!

:What substrate are you using? What kind of cage (i.e. glass tank?) Do you have hides in the cage?

:The warm side should be 83-85 degrees, achieved with an undertank heater if possible. Use a lamp dimmer to keep the temp at a reasonable level. The cool end can be anything in the 65-78 deg range. The snake should be able to hide in the warm end or cool end.

:Sometimes rosies can be sensitive to the substrate. The substrates that are used by many folks with success include aspen, newspaper or paper towels, Care-Fresh and Sani_Chip (tiny hardwood chips.) My opinion is stick with one of those substrates.

:I don't know why your rosy isn't eating. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, or it could indicate a husbandry problem. Sometimes a young rosy takes a little time to start eating. Rarely you get one that is a real pain. Sometimes feeding in a paper bag works well. Just make sure the caging and temps are correct, and try feeding in a small deli cup or paper bag. Don't disturb the snake much and don't do any unnecessary handling. Rosies can be very shy, and mid-Baja rosies are no exception. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]