kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Should I be worried than?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]

Posted by hippiebri on April 15, 2003 at 16:38:03:

In Reply to: When good sand boas go bad, or, cannibalism in Eryx jayakari posted by jfmoore on April 13, 2003 at 04:09:17:

I just got a pair today the female isa tiny bit bigger than the male should I be concrened keeping them together??

:

:I thought folks might be interested in this series of photographs showing one Arabian sand boa, Eryx jayakari, consuming a smaller one. I found them on the website of the Breeding Centre for Endangered Arabian Wildlife (http://www.breedingcentresharjah.com/Home.html) in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. As there was not much accompanying information, I emailed them and got a response from the head of the reptile department, Damien Egan, part of which follows:

: “The series of photos of the sand boa feeding on a smaller sand boa took place years ago, and I never saw the incident first hand.

:A small sand boa was captured and placed in a terrarium with a larger specimen. The larger specimen then proceeded to kill and begin to swallow the smaller specimen before anyone had returned to observe the scene. As it was too late to save the little boa, the person responsible took advantage of the situation and took some photographs.

:Arabian Sand Boas Eryx jayakari are tiny boas and feed predominantly on geckos and amphisbaenians. I have never since heard of an incident where cannibalism has taken place in this species.

:Very large specimens will feed occasionally on gerbils, shrews and mice, but the bulk of their diet will probably consist of reptiles.”

:Since I espouse keeping snakes one to an enclosure, I was surprised recently when I realized how many of my own cages contained more than one animal each. I can’t recall ever having an incidence of cannibalism in my collection, but I guess the artifice of captivity has the potential to produce atypical behavior in any animal.

:-Joan

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]