kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: mine has never stopped fasting!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]

Posted by SnakeBiteJunkies on April 01, 2003 at 16:26:42:

In Reply to: mine has never stopped fasting! posted by rudedogsurfrat on March 31, 2003 at 22:54:13:

I had problems at first getting one male to eat anything. With persistance, I was finally able to get him to accept newborn wild deer mice (Peromiscus maniculatus) pinks. I would take the stinky, dirty shavings from the adults that I kept and save them in a plastic bag. When offering the pinks, I would make a little nest in a small plastic dish or delhi cup with the dirty shavings and a hole cut in the lid or the side of the container. Leave the "nest" container under a log or a rock in the cage with the snake for 24 hours. Cover the cage with a towel and do not disturb. After this worked for me a few times, I was able to scent domestic pinks with the deer mice shavings. You can also try small lizards (e.g., sagebrush lizard, sideblotch, fence lizards, skinks, alligator lizards, etc.).

Good luck,

Mike

:A buddy of mine and I bought some newborn 02's from the same person. He bought 2 and I bought 1. My buddies rubber boas have never ate at all. Mine ate only once in his life and that was when I first got her in September of 02. I thought she was going to be an eazy feeder because of this. I've tried everything and she still won't eat. Any suggestions would be great.

:

:::Although I don't currently keep rubber boas, when I did some were finicky eaters sometimes. One male I had would only eat maybe once or twice a year, and only if I set up a little mouse "nest" complete with pinks. He would eat the whole or most of the litter and then not accept another meal until the following season. Others I had were chow hounds and would accept food right from forceps.

:::Always give your rubber boas a long cold hibernation period. I think they need it in order to do well. Also, I never kept mine on heat, like I did with rosys. I just kept them at room temp and usually in the coolest spot (near the floor). I kept the rubbers for 10+ years. They were always very interesting and made great captives.

:::Good luck,
:::Mike

:::Good luck.

::I don't think a hibernation period is nessesary unless one is attempting to breed. Anyways, I was a bit surprised that he resumed feeding so early. I had expected him to fast for at least another month, through the breeding season. This is actually the first time he has gone through a winter fast, as I had mentioned before.
::I second your opinion that rubber boas are excellent captives. My rubber boa almost seems to "like" me. He will actually climb onto my hand from under his hide box or resting spot. He tolerates handling very well, and is just absolutely fascinating!
::Reguarding setup, I have provided my rubber boa with a "forrest floor" environment. I am using calci-sand as a substrate, and have included a large branch of drift wood and a huge acorn for climbing. In addition to this, a large "vine" (plastic) extends across the top of the cage, interwoven with fake leaves. A piece of bark and a long hide box/water bowl provides hiding. The cool side of the cage remains constant with the room temp, about 65-70 deg. A 40 watt bulb provides a basking spot at about 80. Humidity is moderate, averaging 60.
::He seems to enjoy this setup very much, and has shown significant growth since I have provided it (he's around 20+/-").

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]