kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Eryx mulleri

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]

Posted by SnakeBiteJunkies on March 27, 2003 at 15:53:39:

In Reply to: Re: Eryx mulleri posted by jasons-jungle on March 27, 2003 at 15:32:04:

Jason:

Thanks for your posting. I did, indeed, know that they laid eggs. Another interesting fact about their egg-laying is that the eggs typically hatch in around 14 days (from what I've heard anyway). My pair appear very healthy and have supposedly been treated for internal nasties and are eating well. By the sound of things, a sweater box would be all that they would ever require.

Thanks again,

Mike

:Good luck! :) There are probably less than 40 pairs in the U.S. The main two breeders are Redding Reptiles and VPI. When I got my first pair 6 months ago, I sent them both an e-mail and asked for any advice and got zilch.
:My bunch is doing quite well. They are still (even after 6 months of captive care) are very skittish and don't 'like' to be held. I feed them quite well but they have barely grown. They average 14" to 18". I've read from what little literature is available that they don't get very large, so maybe that's all they're going to grow.
:I've cycled them along with my Kenyans but I don't expect anything to happen. I certainly won't turn down a clutch of eggs (you do know they lay eggs rather than live babies right?), but I think it will probably take another year :)
:As far as care, I treat them like my Kenyans. I keep them on aspen which has worked well so far (they like to bury a lot more than my Kenyans do). I have the high-side of their cages about 1 degree higher than my Kenyans, so around 91 degrees. The cool side is room temperature which is about 75. I feed them an adult mouse once a week.
:Keep in touch with how yours go and happy herping,
:Jason @ Jason's Jungle

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]