kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sand Boa Housing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]

Posted by jasons-jungle on March 27, 2003 at 15:48:13:

In Reply to: Re: Sand Boa Housing posted by meretseger on March 27, 2003 at 07:07:45:

:Having used both, I prefer aspen to sand. Sand is just too sandy for my tastes. Another alternative would be 'carefresh'. Anything they can burrow in and isn't pine or cedar is ok. You know you're doing it right if you don't see your snake 90% of the time. I feed in a seperate container because they are rather violent eaters and tend to get substrate stuck in their mouths. I think keeping half the substrate moist would be too much. These guys don't tolerate humidity very well. Some people recommend a moist hide, I just mist down the top of the substrate when the snakes are shedding. They do need some sort of extra humidity during shedding, or it's a mess. What I do to set up a cage is throw in about 2-4 inches of shredded aspen and add a water dish. Voila! I use undertank heaters and screen lids. Overhead lights are probably a viable option too. I like a warm end of 85-90, cool end of room temperature (about 75 in my place).

Not much you can add to this. All the points are made :)
One thing to emphasize is that if you're seeing a pet shop that keeps 1/2 the substrate wet, they're incorrect in doing so. Sand boas prefer arid/dry climates more than moist climates. The only time I'll allow humidity in the cage is when they are shedding. I have a little humidity box (a very scientific device made by putting wet paper towels in a Rubbermaid bowl..hehe) that I put in the cages when I see they are getting ready to shet.
Hope all goes well for you and happy herping,
Jason @ Jason's Jungle

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]