kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: rosy housing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]

Posted by jasons-jungle on March 20, 2003 at 08:51:16:

In Reply to: Re: rosy housing posted by serpentdude on March 18, 2003 at 17:41:16:

::Could you hose a group of Rosys together? Any help would be appreciated.

:I think it's better to house snakes, of any type, individually. It makes feeding much easier...the snakes are already separate if a health issue comes up...and Rosys don't get that big so large quarters aren't necessary (20 gallon vivarium is plenty big for most).

:Anyway, just my $0.02 worth. Perhaps someone else has experience with multiple Rosys in one enclosure?

:Steve

I totally agree. Somebody who maybe only owns a pair of snakes could really go either way and there is no real reason why you can't. I definitely house individually for numerous reasons, which I'll go ahead and mention:
First is the feeding issue. Once you lose a snake in the belly of another snake, you'll quickly understand :) Second, as Steve mentioned, by housing snakes together, you put them at risk for any parasites that the other gets (especially easy when they're crawling through each other's feces). Third, since I'm a huge documentation freak, by housing them individually, I know which snake has shed and which snake has pooped. Although I don't track defacation, I know enough about my snakes to know "Hmmm, this one hasn't pooped in a while". Lastly, I can control their breeding (if you plan on breeding that is). They say absence makes the heart grow fonder and it's often true with breeding. By cycling the male and female (week together, week apart, week together, week apart...) I've found that their mating drive is much higher than housing them together permanently. (Guess if I lived with my wife in a 7 gallon box for a year my sex drive would probably go too..HEHEHE) Also along the mating topic, often when you have one male and multiple females housed together, the male will pick one female for his mate (had it happen for several years when this was just a small hobby) but if they're separated and introduced together in separate housing, then that same male could breed 2-6 females (again something I've seen myself, not necessarily a 'proven' thing).
Anyway, sorry for being so long-winded. I hope this helps out.
Happy herping,
Jason @ Jason's Jungle

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]