kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: ROSY HASN'T EATEN IN 7 MONTHS!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]

Posted by Roy Stockwell on March 05, 2003 at 21:31:46:

In Reply to: ROSY HASN'T EATEN IN 7 MONTHS!!!!! posted by raffertyreptiles on March 05, 2003 at 18:43:18:

I recall all your past posts. I won't repeat all the advice given previously. Unfortunately some neonate rosies, just plain don't eat. I lost one myself in hibernation this season. This probably happens in nature too.
Some are strong, and figure out what food is, and others just aren't destined to pass on genes.
It's also possible that some are seeking food other than what we offer.(lizards perhaps or native rodents)
If the snake is down to skin and bones, it's time to start using a pinkie pump in my opinion. Even assist feeding with peeled mouse legs or mouse tails
may be successful in getting a meal into the snake. I had lots of luck doing it that way 20 years ago before pinky pumps were around.
You're quite right, you can't wait forever, and they will and do eventually die without food. If it was strong enough to survive brumation it's probably still save-able.
Try putting about half a mouse tail into it's mouth and see if it will take it down. Make sure the temps are 85 and the snake is left alone in its hide after placing the tail far back in the mouth.
You never know, a couple of assist feeds might result in strength enough to feed on its own.
Best of luck

:i got this rosy in september and at first it didn't eat and i posted a message on this forum and everyone said like it takes time to adjust and get use to its new habitat so i waited than i month or so rolled around and he still hadn't eaten so i posted another message questioning what i should do, i was told to brumate the snake for 6 weeks so i did, still didn't eat, so i posted another message of what i should do, i was told i needed to brumate longer at least till march first and i did, i then posted a message of when should i try to feed him and i was told a few days after he came out of brumation so i did, and he stil wont eat! should i go to a vet or what i feel so bad like the thing hasn't eaten in 7 months! is it going to die? what should i do!!??

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]