kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Same temps as you have - just an hour west of you >>>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Silly-atus fan on October 18, 2002 at 06:00:55:

In Reply to: Sorry double posted! ( posted by Gecko2525 on October 17, 2002 at 23:19:34:

I'm just west of you, so we're experiencing the same weather and temps. If it makes you feel any better, I don't add any extra heat to any of my rhac set-ups. They get whatever the room temperature is. Unless you love it cold inside your house, you really only have to worry about excess heat, not lack of heat.
In winter, the temps can get as slow as 66°F / 19°C and they don't care. Even day temps are not much higher than 70-72°F / 21-22°C since the furnace setting controls that. During the fall if I don't have the furnace running yet, night temps have been known to get down to around 55°F / 12.5°C and they don't give me the evil eye in the morning. Any babies I've got at the time experience the same temps without problem.
If anything, you might take advantage of the slight drop in temperature you're seeing. If you want to breed yours next year, this will simulate the normal winter cooling they'd get back home in the wild. It doesn't get really cold enough to brumate, just enough to turn off their reproduction. Cresties are egg laying machines, and sometimes the only thing to stop them is cooler temps. It's almost and advantage, so use it to start cycling yours. They're at an age where they would naturally experience a winter in NC.

If I were you, I wouldn't put the two together. Cresties have raging hormones, and you could find them breeding before they're really ready for it. Even though they're mature, it's best to wait until they're a year old, but if they're together, they might just play doctor out behind the barn sooner than you'd like. It wouldn't be too much trouble for the male, but the female has to produce eggs while she's still finishing her own growth, which could be problematic.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]