kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: When you mist a baby crested>>>>>>>>>>>more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Raymond Moreno on October 09, 2002 at 00:30:54:

In Reply to: Re: When you mist a baby crested>>>>>>>>>>>more posted by Dave A. on October 08, 2002 at 21:31:41:

I agree with Dave.

Give the WHOLE CAGE a good misting. Make sure that everything has a good coat of tiny droplets/moisture on it.(Plants, wood, walls, etc...). This will ensure that there is plenty of water to drink from, as well as rehydrate them from being in the high humidity. (Cuz misting will raise the humidity).

Another thing to remember is that you should use BOTTLED WATER, and not tap water. (Tap water, or regular sink water, will have the possibiity of having chemicals, flouride, and other trace elements that may not be good for your cresty). Remember, they will be drinking from the water that is sprayed in their enclosure.

Also, make sure that you do proper maintenance (cleaning), of his enclosure. If the walls are dirty (they have not been cleaned and dissenfected in a while), continual misting of his cage will start to produce unwanted bacteria due to the heat, humidity, and his "poops". (This is a big "no-no")!!

Also, make sure that you have the correct substrate for an enclosure that will be continually misted. If you don't...not only will it make his cage smell (PEEE-YUUUUU), but it will also breed bacteria which may be harmful (or fatal), to your cresty.

And very lastly (whew, this is getting pretty long)...ensure that you use WARM water while misting. (You can even use hot water, as the act of misting will even cool-down the hot water once it's been sprayed, and in "mist form").

Remember, the cold water will be a "shock" to your little cresty if he's nice and acclimated to the 80 degree temeprature of his cage. And if you continually shock him, he MAY scamper away from you when it's time to mist the cage...instead of welcoming it like they should. (My lil buddy, "Sticky," looks foward to his misting, as he does not run away from it, and actually licks it off of the leaves and his nose). He's soooo cool!!!

Hope this helped!

In Christ: Raymond

:I like to get the cage nice and wet with a couple squirts, i use a 40 gallon breeder tank for my 2 little guys and it use almost half a liter per misting session. If the crested is out he gets misted, i dont intentionally aim for either of them but if they dont like getting wet they can move. =) I have noticed that if they do get wet they usually position themselves so that water rolls down to the tip of their snout and theyll lick it up, clever little guys.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]