mobile - desktop
3 months for $50.00
News & Events:
Posted by DogStar on April 02, 2003 at 14:22:20:
In Reply to: Adult Male Crested Needs New Home...Please Read... posted by dustinthompson on April 02, 2003 at 12:16:36:
First off, I think what you are doing is coming from the right place in your heart. I think it is responsible of you to make this kind of decision so the animal gets care. But I have some concerns with it all.
I am new to cresties, but not to reptiles. I keep various species of snakes and a bearded dragon. No I am not an expert but I do have some medical experience in reptiles and I am a licensed vet tech.
I do know that small critters generally have a tougher time with anesthesia, not always, but there is a higher risk. There just isn't a lot of tiny animal anesthesia done these days, though, it is increasing as more people are willing to keep the animal they have rather than buying another. (for example doing surgery on a rat instead of buying another one for $5)
Anyways, maybe the hemipene prolapsed from mechanical rather than medical reasons, maybe the little dude really is healthy. But if it came out because of medical reasons you have an underlying problem that also needs to be addressed.
That thing has been hanging out for a few days now right? It is an organ that is not supposed to be outside of the body for very long if at all. We're not talking about horses or dogs who sometimes "air themselves out". Either that hemipene is inside the male himself or a female. I would guess that it is swollen and is coming in contact with its surroundings. It is picking up bacteria everywhere. Is the little guy pooping around it? Poop is pretty dirty. Next, this organ is pretty much tough mucous membrane and when that part of the body is exposed to pathogens, these bad bugs can enter the blood stream very quickly.
I guess my point is every day that is hanging out decreases the health of the gecko. If the hemipene dies it will release toxins into the body, which causes sepsis, which is really hard to treat.
Now my next thing is, and this comes from my limited knowledge on these geckos, is can this critter withstand the surgery to repair it? I once had to clean a fresh wound on a young bunny that was otherwise healthy and it died because of the anesthesia.
Has anyone had surgery done on his or her gecko? I've personally only ever done anesthesia on iguanas but they were touchy.
I could be wrong, but if you had gotten it medical attention right away the prolapse might have been poked back in with a wet q-tip. Maybe not. Maybe it still can be, I don't presume to know.
Next, if the guy has kinks in it's tail and spine, that could mean MBD, could mean his box was shaken too, but you don't sound like you know where he got it. If he has MBD then that would further increase the risk of surgery.
I think I remember you saying you just got the poor guy this way? (If I am correct in remembering) why didn't you contact the person who sent it to you and get your money back? Just curious.
Like I said I think it's great you are doing this, and I almost offered to take the little guy, in fact I would if I didn't already have two sick cresties that are going to the vet today. I currently work for a small animal vet so I do have to go to a different vet for healthcare so I couldn't get free care where I am :(
My biggest concern is him surviving first the shipping then the procedure whether it requires anesthesia or not. I recently had a trio of cresties shipped overnight to me, beautiful nice weather on both ends, all the gex were very healthy, but the male died during shipment anyways.
Do you have a reptile rescue near you? I know the reptile rescue I work with provides excellent medical care to the animals they are given.
Maybe I am way off base here, I am just going by my own personal experiences. I know cresties are supposed to be hardy, but out of all mine, two are sick and one died in shipping (maybe just bad luck on my part, and I knew the babies were sick when I got them)
Good luck with him, I hope someone will take him. Heck, I'll even take him if you want to pay the vet bills ;)
: I have just recently become very active on the forum, and I am starting to recognize names. Many of you seem to be wonderful people and also seem to know a lot about Cresteds.
: Anyway, I have an adult male crested that has a hemipenis everted as well as a kinked tail and what looks to be a slight kink in the spine, but I am not real sure. I have been unable to get him to a vet due to my work schedule and the fact that the nearest herp vet is over an hour from me. I called today to speak with the vet and he is out for two weeks. In saying all of this, I just want to get this guy to a good home with someone that can get him to a vet quickly. I will ship him out on Monday. I am asking for no money, I am even going to pay for the shipping to you. All I ask is that he is taken to a vet immediately and I am updated on his progress. He should still breed with no problems if this hemipenis is amputated. He is extremely active and eats like a pig (even the new crested diet, but still favors crickets). Very nice colors, and if he does not breed, should make a wonderful pet. You can contact me and I will decide this weekend who I think best deserves him, but there must be a 100% agreement that he will be treated at a vet ASAP, and I must be updated on his progress.
: I am sure that he will do fine with shipping, as he is very active. I would keep him for breeding or a pet myself, but I do not want him to wait any longer. Also, do not think I am just trying to put a sick animal off on one of you, rather, I am trying to get him in a good home that can get him to a vet quickly, which I cannot do. I have several cresteds, and I love them all. I would hate for any harm to come to any of them, that is why I am doing what I feel is best in the interest of this male.
: If you are interested, please feel free to contact me, but I do plan on shipping him out on Monday. Also, keep in mind, he must be treated within two days of his arrival, and I will be updated on his progress. I may also require copies of his vet records after he is checked and treated. He is not to put down. I am asking for know adoption fee or even shipping, this is completely about the care of this animal.
: If you are interested and can agree to the above terms, contact me whenever you need (also state as to why you think you can provide the care and safe home for this male). I will post my decision on Sunday night as to whom I will choose.
: Thank you for your time, and I will be waiting to hear from you. I am also willing to provide more pictures and answer any questions if need be. Thank you.