kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Ahhh, the old "you can't reach me" trick!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Lyn on September 27, 2002 at 20:36:23:

In Reply to: Re: Handling 2 month Crested posted by Dave A. on September 26, 2002 at 08:04:36:

My female Winky played that game with me a few days ago. She was on my shoulder as I was opening her baby food jar and she sneaked around onto my back. Try as I might she got just where I couldn't reach her with either hand! They seem to know when they've found the "safe" spot LOL...

As for the original post, I recommend handling the new little guy after he settles in a bit. Like Leos, they don't like to be actually "picked up" like by the body, they more like to climb around on you and jump from hand to hand (one of mine jumped from my hand to my nose once then climbed up my face to the top of my head). It takes some getting used to, to anticipate their jumps and the distance they will go. If your other hand is too far away they will miss and end up on the floor. But if it's too close, they will jump right over it and end up on the floor. Don't think they won't jump just cuz there is nothing to jump to, they will jump anyways. Did I mention the floor? What I do with mine is hold my hand in front of them and let them climb onto it. If they are on the glass I just touch them gently and they will scamper up to the rim where they can climb onto my hand easily. Once he gets big enough to like baby food he'll lick it off your finger which feels neat. Have fun!!!

"Winky"

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]