kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: crested diets...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by leprachaun13 on February 03, 2003 at 20:05:00:

In Reply to: crested diets... posted by Dave A. on February 03, 2003 at 17:51:13:

Hey,

The first thing that we need to know before being able to you is some background. To start off, I'm going to assume you're talking about a pair of cresteds (due to the title, *please correct me if I'm wrong*). Also, how are they housed? If they're housed together, I would suggest if at all possible that you separate them into individual enclosures. This should increase their diets, because there's no competition for food, and it also rules out the possibility of stress having a factor.

Next, in general cresteds eat a lot more fruit than the other rhacs, so offering it up to three nights a week would probably be a good idea. If you're concerned about their protein intake, you could add some meat baby food in with the fruit, as they most definitely wouldn't take it solo.

As for crickets, I'd suggest that you give them as often as they'll eat them. The protein is required for proper development and growth. And even a few nights a week you might as well put crickets and fruit in together.

For an overall schedule, for all animals under a year of age it's advised to feed them every night.

*If you don't feel like they're getting enough food, you might try feeding them by hand until you feel that they're sufficiently plump. And although this may be time consuming, it has amazing results.

Basically, I'd feed them every night, four nights a week use crickets, and for the other three try fruit and fruit/meat b-food. You may want to adjust their schedule around what you know they're eating. Such as substituting more fruit if you know that that's what they favor over the crickets.

Sorry for writing so much, but I think it's important to establish a feeding schedule around your geckos, and there isn't a specific order for the food, because again, every animal is different.

Good Luck with those Rhacs, and when you've fattened them up, put up some pictures.

Ian

*****P.S. Mike, correct me if I'm wrong in any way, b/c cresteds are your specialty, not mine. lol

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]