kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanx for the info....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by azteclizard on January 22, 2003 at 15:09:33:

In Reply to: spirulina...(long) posted by mikecoscia on January 22, 2003 at 12:34:40:

The supplement i use has spirulina in it. It's worth looking into. Susan Donoghue is a vet that specializes in herp nutrition. All she does is research and these herp formulations she sells. All the ingredients are natural and organically grown. In fact some of the ingredients are grown on her farm. I can email you the ingredient list if you would like.

-Bill

:Okay I am glad we agree on the fact that just meat and baby fruit mixed together don’t cut it. More natural supplementation needs to be added. I haven’t taken a look at what you use but I am just weary of using certain products. There is no FDA for reptiles so I like to prepare things myself, its just my anal ways so don’t take offense to it =).

:As far as meat vs. spirulina goes, meat doesn’t even come close. You are right that it is more complex, but that is just one of the things that make it inferior. Spirulina is one of the world’s most nutritious foods. Spirulina is easier to break down (90-95% compared to meat’s 20%) making it easier to digest and utilize. It contains 18 out of the 22 amino acids, making it rather complete (if that’s what you where referring to in your post). It has a number of vitamins, minerals and trace elements (B, E, beta-carotene, etc). It is a good source of complex carbs. And unlike meat it is low cal, fat and cholesterol. There are a huge number of websites to check out describing the benefits.

:It really is a great source of nutrition for your reptiles and yourself too! Trace takes it every day..lol. I have used it raising dart frog and red-eye tree frog tadpoles when I bred them back in high school. Have used it on day geckos, turtles and torts, even gutloading my feeder insects. So it has def proved it’s value to me and I highly recommend supplementing it. Anyway I am not saying give up meat it still can be used every once in awhile. But don’t overlook spirulina it is a very valuable protein and other nutrient source =).
:-Mike
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]