kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

That helped a lot Thanks!! n/p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Gecko2525 on January 15, 2003 at 19:05:56:

In Reply to: I've done fecals for cats and dogs in a vet hospital....msg posted by Tegan on January 15, 2003 at 16:19:27:

:You'll need either fecasol (the solution used for the fecal) or a mixture of water and corn syrup (I dont remember what ratio I could probably look it up though). Some glass slides and slipcovers and a test tube.

:I wouldn't know exactly what to look for since I haven't done reptile fecals but the fecal should be no older then 24 hours old. You can probably find pictures of all the common parasites on some of the vet websites out there.

:Anyway what you do is put the fecal matter into the test tube, then the fecasol or corn syrup mixture in the test tube...mix it up really good then fill the test tube the rest of the way untill it makes a little liquid bubble at the top then drop the slipcover on the test tube and wait at least ten minutes. (this will give a chance for any eggs or nasties to float to the top and stick to the slipcover.) Then in one smooth motion (not fast or jerky) lift the slipcover off the test tube and place on the slide. You only need a 10x microscope to veiw this if I remember correctly.

:When you look at the slide start in the upper left corner and go from top to bottom and left to right, cover the whole slide. It takes some time but it's the only way to be sure you've seen everything there is to see.

:If your really concerned about it I would call up a vet in the area and ask them if they will teach you how to do it so that you can better monitor the health of your animals.

:Hope this helps.

:Tegan

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]