kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Keeping crested together

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Redtailboa1 on January 10, 2003 at 20:45:08:

In Reply to: Re: Keeping crested together posted by RhacsRsweet on January 10, 2003 at 18:36:53:

If they were living together anyway(i may have left that part out) would it then be ok. Almost every place that i have seen sell cresties keeps them together(according to size)

:Even if you get a gecko from the same place it doesn't mean it will be safe. Babies are kept seperate to ensure that they get the best possible feed and don't pick on each other. Yes you will need to quaranteen(3+ months, longer is better). Most breeders have more than a few animals when the species doesn't have a large clutch size, so it is possible that they aren't related. Ask the person you are buying the animal from. They probably keep records. About inbreeding, many people say it is bad, others say it has no bad affects. I try not to get related animals, and keep track who I buy from. I've talked to a few breeders about this and they said they haven't seen any bad affects at all. Most breeders try not to breed related individuals. In my opinion it probably won't have bad affect, but it is best to get unrelated species if you can.

:

:
::Wouldnt that be inbreeding if they bred? Wont they get Deformaties? I may be wrong. Just my thought on the matter

::

:::I have two crested gecko from two different places. They are both being quantined for one another. My question is, i want to get a feemale for my male. The female is from the same place, the same enclosure, probably the same parents. Do i need to quantine that one? Thanks

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]