kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: what a cute picture! thanks for the info.....nt

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by STARMOM on January 01, 2003 at 16:08:54:

In Reply to: Re: what are the differences between cresties and aurics? posted by mikecoscia on January 01, 2003 at 13:45:35:

:
:Aurics and cresties reach about the same adult size, however they are much bulkier and wider around the waste then crested geckos. And you are right they have larger and a more distinct set of teeth then other rhacs. The reason being that aurics are cannibalistic, and frequently feed on other vertebrates in the wild. So you have to make sure animals of similar size are housed together. Hatchlings should also be raised individually to prevent any accidents. Auric’s rarely bite unless provoked, but it can be a painful bite. I find them not as jumpy as the crested geckos, however as mentioned before they love to poop on you…lol. If your kids are good with handling your crested gecko, they should be fine with the auric though.

:Diet is a little different. Cresties thrive on insects and the occasional fruit mash. However aurics would rather have the fruit mash, at least in my experience. In order for them to grow properly you need to add protein to their diet. The best way to do that is add meat baby food in with their fruit (2:1 fruit to meat). As they get older they will take crix, but they are not going to go nuts over them like crested geckos.

:I love my aurics and I suggest them to anyone looking for their next rhac fix =) There will prob be a few of them at the White Plains show. Shop around and take a look at them and see what you think.
:-Mike
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]