kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: New Crestie?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by RhacsRsweet on January 01, 2003 at 15:43:30:

In Reply to: New Crestie? posted by LeoMan on January 01, 2003 at 15:26:48:

Cresties can grow pretty quickly. Take two animals that are a month apart and you will see a big difference(most of the time).
I have 2 cresties that are only 2 weeks in difference, but one is almost an inch bigger. You can hold the crestie, but you need to be very careful. Put your hand slowly into the cage in front of where the cresty is. Then gently nudge his back legs with your finger so that he will(hopefully) go into your hand. Just let him crawl and jump from hand to hand. Never grab a cresty! This will scare him. I recommend that you hold him close to his cage so that if he gets jumpy you can quickly put him back. Once you've had him for awhile then you could move away from his cage. It's not a good idea to take him out of the room though, because you don't want him to run away into a heat vent or something(believe me, they are the hardest things to find, it took me 11 days to find mine!). Cresties feel really cool running around on your hand, and most of mine are quite calm now. It will just take some time before he will trust you.

:How fast will my crestie grow? It is now about 3 inches long. Should I hold it? It is so small I am afraid I will hurt it. Does anyone have any name ideas? It is orange. THANKS

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]