kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: What holds heat better? In my experience........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by RhacsRsweet on December 13, 2002 at 07:58:03:

In Reply to: posted by Gecko2525 on December 12, 2002 at 22:22:51:

the rubbermaids take much less wattage lights to heat up. I had a glass aquarium that I put a 100 watt over it in the winter, but it would only get 80 in one spot and was very cold everywhere else. I tried a rubbermaid the same size and had to use a 60 watt instead because the 100 made it like 88 degrees! Since then I only use rubbermaid.

:I never thought of using hot glue. I do have a rubbermaid container that I was using, but instead of using glue I made a wooden frame and stapled the screen on to it. It just rests on top with the wood are the outide. I like your idea too. MMmmmmm! I might just do that. I have tried saving money by gathering branches (sterlizing them) and using tissue boxes as hides. They love those. I tried the papertowel rolls, but he never went in them. I do use papertowel as a substrate too. Trust me I cut money cost as much as I can. I think I only bought the live plants and hanging fake leaves!! Oh and the hammocks (they love those too).
:When you say "I only have one nice glass cage, but it is harder to clean out and is worthless at holding heat in. "
:are you saying that the rubbermaid containers hold in more heat then the glass tanks???

:I think I am going to use your rubbermaid idea for my hatchlings!! Though I could go out and buy little shoebox size critter keepers. There cheap. I know you can put 2 hatchlings in there. How many crested hatchlings can you keep in a rubbermaid container?? and until what age???

:Thanks for your ideas!!!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]