kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Just to show how fast aurics can act ....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Silly-atus fan on December 01, 2002 at 10:11:05:

In Reply to: Re: A warning on mixing species together . . . posted by mikecoscia on December 01, 2002 at 08:41:58:

Aurics are laid back, calm geckos, but as has been said, they will eat smaller geckos as readily as they'll eat fruit or bugs. It also doesn't take them long to act either.

I keep some of the baby aurics and cresties in critter keepers - one gecko in each. There were 5 of them standing side by side. One of the 3 month old aurics escaped while I was reaching in to feed him. Normally the just stay put, but this one must have been spooked, jumped out and away. It took about 10 frantic minutes to find him (thanks to our miniature pinscher who pointed him out to me, knowing full well she'd get a treat for her good deed :) I picked up the gecko, and put him back into the critter keeper. About 30 seconds later, I realized, that thanks to my frazzled nerves, I'd put him in the wrong one - he was in with a slightly bigger and older crested gecko. I opend the lid, to see he was already pulling on the crested gecko's tail. In the minute (MAX) that he was in there, he grabbed himself a good meal. He wasn't stressed from his escape nor recapture, and took advantage of a chance to get something different for lunch. I've learned the hard way too, unfortunately. Now I keep the aurics on the other side of the room so I can't confuse the critter keepers. The crestie is doing great, she seems to even be growing faster then the others her age. I was keeping her anyway because of her colour and pattern, but after what she's been through I'd feel like a real heel if I were to sell her. Even though it was an accident, guilt feelings rule.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]