kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Question for mikecoscia, or anyone else...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Ike420 on November 18, 2002 at 18:12:36:

In Reply to: Re: Question for mikecoscia, or anyone else... posted by mikecoscia on November 18, 2002 at 16:02:22:

Yeah i was referring to the floppy tail syndrome...My geckos very frequently exhibit the common phantasticus display where they have all limbs and tail linearly (with tails firmly against the glass above their heads), and I've seen many cresteds in stores hanging on the glass in a similar fashion with their tails angled at 90 degrees to their body. Often these animals also have a large "dent" on their dorsal surface where the tail meets the vent. I think it was Paul Meyer of PM gecko who told me that the problem could be avoided by providing plenty of climbing twigs and such for juvenile
specimens. I agree that with most younger animals minimal cage setups are required (and economically preferable) but I just love the look of a little cilly curled up in an aglaonema blossom =)

:Do you mean floppy tail syndrome or literally dropping their tails as in breaking off? I raise all my hatchlings and juveniles in critter keepers according to their size. I have never had a problem with floppy tail syndrome. The true cause has not really been determined for it either, whether it is a nutritional, or just them lacking things for their tails to grasp on. It might even be genetic, kind of like how some patternless leopard geckos get kinks in the tips of their tails.

:Screen cages are def a good thing to use, they provide good ventilation, and are great to use outdoors. However I personally see no problems with glass or plastic cages, as long as there is adequate foliage for them to climb over and the right husbandry techniques are followed. Given that there should be no problems with floppy tails.
:-Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]