kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Started introducing male and female crested.....any tips?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by mikecoscia on November 13, 2002 at 05:56:14:

In Reply to: Started introducing male and female crested.....any tips? posted by Gecko2525 on November 12, 2002 at 23:13:19:

Yup that sounds like an intention to mate. You are right in the fact that the male usually bites a leg, then works his way up the her neck and positions her. There is no need to take them out every day so they get adjusted to each other. You can simply place them in together when the time is right. The female crested will let you know when that is. A year old may be a bit young even if she is willing to mate, I would wait a little longer like 14-18 months, it all depends on the animal. Around that time put your female in the male’s cage and let them stay together for the nite. Observe very carefully for any thrashing sounds (which is the female trying to get away), or croaking. If you here lots of thrashing sounds, your female might not be ready to mate and is trying to get away from your male, if you hear this remove them at once and try again in another month or two. If u hear only a little thrashing still check out what is going on and make sure the male is not aggravating the female, if he isn’t you may leave them in together for a few months or throughout the entire season. However crested geckos have the ability to hold sperm to an extent similar to leopards, so the male is not necessary for the whole season. I have noticed though if he is kept with her, he will remate mate with the female every time she lays a new clutch, sort of a recharge I guess. Between clutches he ignores her completely without any mating. Have any other breeders noticed this? Anyway, the point is when you introduce them observed carefully to make sure she is willing to mate and not running for dear life.

On a side note I know a lot of breeders keep their animals together year round. I like to keep my animals in their own cages, and put them together in pairs only for a few short months out of the year. This way gravid females are getting plenty to eat, and do not have to worry about other geckos bothering them while laying and what not. Both methods work fine, its totally up to you and your own preferences. Anyway good luck with breeding when the time comes…=)
-Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]