kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

TO CARPET, OR NOT TO CARPET...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Raymond Moreno on November 12, 2002 at 01:03:38:

In Reply to: Re: Substrate Survey......what are people using?? posted by paulstephen on November 11, 2002 at 20:10:41:

For now, while my cresty is still young, I'm going with carpeting.

I have heard alot of "pro's and con's" to this. But at the moment, they are all PRO'S to "moi".

My cresty is a totally arboreal creature, and almost never drops to the ground. (He even sleeps on the leaves). Although he will creep aroung the base of the wood, and sneak-up on the crickets while they're eating their "gut-load". (He's a great hunter)!!! Sometimes he will even perch himself on the vine ABOVE the cricket's gut-load, and pounce on the unweary victims.

As soon as he get's a little older, I will switch his substrate over to "Bed-A-Beast". (I want to keep his enclosure looking as natural as possible).

As for the droppings, they are very easy to clean-up. I use a piece of paper towel that has been sprayed with an isopropyl alcohol and water mix. Then I just "pinch-up" his little doo-doo's, and wipe down the area where it landed. Easy!!

But most of the time (I would guess-timate about 90% of the time), he doo-doo's on the walls, or on a leaf. (And that's even easier to clean-up).

Here's a photo I took a few minutes ago to show you what the carpeting looks like.

About the only thing you really gotta keep in mind, is the fact that after continual, DAILY, misting...there's always the possibility of bacteria growing in the carpeting. So just make sure that you let everything dry REALLY GOOD after each misting, and let it air-out in the sun after the weekly dis-infecting & washing. (My carpeting stays so clean, that I do a thorough scrub-down every TWO WEEKS).

But remember...clean his doo-doo's daily!!

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

In Christ: Raymond

:Im using peat moss, with a larger, deeper and moister dish for egg laying

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]