kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

more on social behavior, and examples =)................

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by mikecoscia on November 09, 2002 at 15:52:19:

In Reply to: Re: Update on possible impactation (Drako)....Depression? (more) posted by Gex-anon on November 09, 2002 at 11:20:58:

Rob you hit a good point there with reptile intelligence. A lot of people think their brains are limited to just eating, sleeping, reproducing. More studies def need to be done on reptile social behavior. I have seen things with Tracy’s geckos alone that I would have never believed unless I saw them. Her one leopard gecko Roman, actually comes to her when she calls. When she told me this before we were together, I was just like yeah okay. But sure enough when I first visited her, she called Roman and she came running out of her hidebox with her nose right up against the glass. But that’s not all! Her one crested gecko Muppet, follows her around the room (however she can care less about me…lol), and I don’t just mean turning her head in Tracy’s direction. Muppet actually moves around her cage so that she is closest to Trace, and just stares at her. When Trace opens her cage, Muppet comes out and goes right for her hand. Now if that isn’t an example of reptile intelligence I don’t know what is…hehe.

The social behavior you mentioned with the crested geckos is interesting. I don’t totally agree with the two males together. However im sure its possible for them to get along, just depends on their personality (cage size prob plays a big role too). As you know there is a lot of range within a species, and not every individual is alike, some are not as territorial as others. Either way though this is not something I recommend for everyone.
On a side note dwarf monitors (I believe the Varanids to be the most intelligent of all reptiles) tend to show the most extreme cases of social behavior with the actual forming of hierarchies. A species like that will always do much better in a group setting then by itself, or in a pair. The same goes for geckos or any reptile that shows social behavior in the wild.

However in captivity you have to keep a close eye on groups, strictly for the sense that competition skyrockets. They are not out in the wild anymore; they are in cages with a limited area. So you sometimes have to watch out for bullying. After all you want to make sure everyone gets enough to eat…hehe. Anyway I think keeping certain species in groups is certainly a good thing, although it’s not for every species. I plan on setting up some of my cresties in a group early next year and see how they get along. Should be interesting…=)

-Mike

P.S. Rob, Tracy might have the pic of your two females attempting to mate, on her computer downstairs. She will look into it and get back to you =)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]