kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: *Important*..the other side of the coin....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by azteclizard on November 07, 2002 at 17:37:28:

In Reply to: *Important*..About use of Mineral Oil from post below.... posted by mikecoscia on November 07, 2002 at 13:23:14:

Here is a link from webmd pertaining to the use of mineral oil as a laxative. I think the information there might be more credible than info from an Infant Massage Instructor. One of the many things i learned as a student of science is to never base an argument on information obtained from one scource and more importantly to investigate the credibilty of the scource of your information. This whole argument started when someone stated that they used mineral oil as a laxative for there gecko, and it worked. This person was reprimanded and told to never use it again and that it can cause serious damage. I would like to see credible information supporting this claim. Of course mineral oil is not something you want to use on a regular basis, but for the intended use in this case i don't see why there should have been any negative feedback.

Link: http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1739.50002

:Guys Mineral oil is not a safe thing to use! Do you even know what it is or were it comes from? It is the byproduct of the process that makes gas from crude oil! It is not something you want to put in your own body, let alone one of your pets. It could have serious side effects. I did a quick search and found the following which goes along with my point....

:Mineral oil is a common ingredient in many household products. It is found in lotions, soaps, cosmetics and motor oil. Mineral oil is a clear, liquid oil with no scent and will not spoil. It is produced as a byproduct of the distillation of gasoline from crude oil. Mineral oil is the leftover liquid, and because it is abundant, it is very inexpensive. In fact, it is more expensive to dispose of mineral oil, than to purchase it.

:¤ Mineral oil acts as a thin plastic layer on the skin.
:¤ It is difficult to absorb and clogs the pores, which slows the skin’s ability to eliminate toxins. Remember, the skin is the body’s largest organ and plays an important role in maintaining overall health!
:¤ Once the oil is absorbed, it is broken down by the liver and passes through the intestinal tract. And once the oil is present in the intestinal tract, it will absorb all of the fat-soluble vitamins found there. It is essentially stealing important vitamins from the body, which the body will not be able to replace. This can eventually lead to nutritional deficiencies.
:¤ Studies have also shown forms of pneumonia caused by mineral oil decreasing lung function, known as lipoid pneumonia. Because of these dangers, the medical community has condemned the use of mineral oil taken orally or as an ingredient in medications.

:Now did you pay attention to that last line, “the medical community has condemned the use of mineral oil taken orally or as an ingredient in medications“. No offensive to your vets, but if this stuff has been banned for use on humans, please tell me why your vet would suggest using it on your beloved animals? Anyway I really don’t mean to sound harsh, I’m just looking out for the welfare of your animals…=)
:-Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]