kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Do yours have any time to rest up and not breed? >>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by GECKOS UNLIMITED on November 01, 2002 at 19:04:00:

In Reply to: Do yours have any time to rest up and not breed? >> posted by Silly-atus fan on November 01, 2002 at 14:51:21:

"Excessive" is a relative term. My females lay every few weeks and are able to rest for at least two months. I work with numerous Australian species that have to be cooled for, on average, about two months. So, my entire collection gets cooled (65-70 degrees F during the day and 60-65 at night)for an extended period of time. All of my females seize producing for that period. Photoperiod, feeding, and misting are adjusted accordingly during this period. Like I said in my earlier post, I have never lost ANY of my females due to hypocalcemia. That applies to my entire collection in over 13 years of keeping and breeding geckos. I have had a few problems with Teratolepis fasciata since some of my females lay every seven days! Often times, I have to remove the male and give the female a few doses of NeoCal. Also, unlike most Rhacodactylus breeders, my Rhacs are fed crickets three times weekly and other (baby food, mashed fruit, etc.) twice weekly. I gut-load the crickets with a plethora of important ingredients, and I think that my success, along with the NeoCal, can be attributed to this gut-loading practice. I appreciate your concern, but please understand that I would never do anything to jeopardize the health of my geckos.

Respectfully,
Nathan Hall

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]