kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: here's my $00.02

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Mic on October 25, 2002 at 09:18:19:

In Reply to: Falling: Danger Height? Help! posted by Gecko2525 on October 24, 2002 at 22:05:30:

I don't believe that anything is for sure with individual cases, especially those which are medical. Also, I don't believe that, if three cresteds of the same age and weight were to jump from the same height, say five feet, that they would all land the exact same way and, if injured, that they would have the same injury, so there probably isn't a particular height that would be the most dangerous, within reason. Of course, a fifteen foot plummet to a hard floor below doesn't sound like it would have a happy ending to me, but I've never witnessed that either.(knock on wood!)
I think that if you observe your crested closely for a week or more without any signs of impediment in his movements, range of motion, his breathing and the general shape of his midsection (ribs), or his neurological state (coordination, etc.), then he should probably be fine. I'd make sure to give a little more than ample calcium for a couple weeks as a precaution in the case there was any simple damage to his bones(i.e. bruising). If you are really worried or you see some indication that he did sustain an injury, then you should take him to see the nearest vet that competently handles herps. Hope everything turns out well for you! :)

:A couple of days ago my 7 month old crested gecko climbed up my arm and onto my shoulder while I was standing up. He was preparing to jumped. From the ground to my shoulder is about 4'3" or even less because I reacted by moving down and tried to get him on my bed so I was kind of crouching.....but he didn't make it. :( My hands where busy with gecko supplies and he hit the carpet floor with a thump He landed on all fours and then bounced a little landing on his back and then re-flipped on to his front. I picked him up careful and everything seemed to be fine. He still moves around in his terrarium and climbs around, but could he still be hurt or have damage to anything? I know how hardy the little guys are, though how hardy and what can they take or not take?
:They must jump off thing much higher in the wild, but I know sometimes they will jump blind and not care. Silly geckos. I hope he is fine

:Well does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]