kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Personality changes in retics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]

Posted by BrianSmith on May 06, 2003 at 07:06:22:

In Reply to: Personality changes in retics posted by Francis Tan on May 06, 2003 at 06:19:02:

Hi Francis,
One of my female lavender phase albinos has changed a little. As she grew up she got a little more "touchy" and defensive and doesn't tollerate being held like she did when she was younger and smaller. My interpretation of this is that she probably never liked being held, but didn't really fight it until she could feel her strength and she began to assert it. She is very strong willed and will fight with me no matter what I am trying to do. But she is usually very content to be rubbed and to have her head stroked and petted. Very strange. Another female, this one a super tiger,... was very jumpy as a hatchling and very nervous and jumpy as a juvenile. But as she grew up and became larger, she calmed down. And now she doesn't twitch a muscle when I open her cage and pet her and take her out. My other adult female super despises being held, yet was pretty laid back as a hatchling and a juvie. But all my males, be they tiger, super, or albino are all very calm and overly willing to be held. In fact, my males will often glide up and out of their cages and over and around my shoulders in a nonchalant, "I'm taking a stroll" kind of demeanor. I often like this, but I hate it when I am just trying to clean or to change their water. They are always on the move to get out once I open the door. But the males seem much more steady in their personalities than the females do. Of my many female tigers though, they are all pretty mellow. The best eaters of the bunch too. Hope this all helps Francis.

:Hi guys,

:I'm addressing this question to those of you who have owned retics from the time they were hatchlings up to the time they are adults.

:I'm interested to know if you have noticed any personality change for the worse or vice versa. Be assured that regardless of your input, I'm in no way going to take for granted my safety around them but your info will help.

:Thanks in advance.

:Francis

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]