kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Retic Room and Ambush Behavior.. A CHALLENGE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]

Posted by sincityretics on April 19, 2003 at 13:28:08:

In Reply to: Re: Retic Room and Ambush Behavior posted by BrianSmith on April 18, 2003 at 21:44:34:

I think i need to expailn a point of view i hsare with Brian. Retics are great snakes that catch the blunt end of the stick on the large snake category. In years past I'm going to go out on a limb here(since to my knowledge no one has a statistic on this) and say a solid 85% of large boid accidents happened when the snake was out in the open. Mostly these attacks do happen with Burmese Pythons and there neophyte owners. Retics however have been branded with a caution tatto on them and most people don't convey the same openess they do with say a boa or burms.

THAT is where fact(or partial ends)

My opinion is this unless your dumb enough to watch and believe Jeff Corwin and STeve Irwin catching burms and retics out in somewhereremtoley open you should trun around because gullable is written on the wall behind you. Large snakes and snakes in general do notlike being out in the open in there little minds there are a million in one things that could possibly happen to them. As it pertains to Retics I dont care if you think your retic has the personality of a golden lab then your gonna get hurt especially when feeding. The minute a Retics smells food, live, dead, half dead or something that smells like its normal food item it's focus is now to get it and subdue. Yes thats right get it. Retics willpursue food as opposed to the burms,bloods and even anacondas. Once they've found it its going down even if your holding or you smell like it. No when a snake is in the clasp of its Pavlov's Response would you much rather be in a open room or have it on a nice hemostat with a 4 inch opening in the glassof your 6' vision thats upt to you but ive been bite and partially constriced befor so thats why i would take the cage over the room. so now i guess youve heard my newschool take on it and a much better oldschool first hand experience fom BrianSmith. So it;s not a negative challenge or anything but can someone honestly right a response with a plus to a room other then space considering retics in the wild jam themselves into swamps rock crevices and anywhere else they can fit

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]