kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I totally agree n/p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]

Posted by RedInTheTail on April 18, 2003 at 00:41:35:

In Reply to: Re: Retic Room and Ambush Behavior posted by BrianSmith on April 17, 2003 at 18:33:24:

:I think that this terminology in connection with the large room subject got a little distorted. The retics, as well as other snakes, always have the ambush instinct, I feel, regardless of the size of their environment. I think what was alluded to was that in whole room, walk in enclosures that it puts us into that same ambush environment. Like if we stuck our faces into a hungry retics cage. They may sometimes strike before smelling. I don't think a larger cage promotes more of this instinct. Just puts us more at risk.

:
::I'd like to hear from those who have actually witnessed the ambush from a captive born retic who has been given a room to live in. I know that this seems to be a conscensus and I have repeated it myself but my curiousity is getting the better of me. My captive born snakes free roam unnsupervised in the snake room as a break from their cages. I've often left them out 24 - 48 hours at a time. One female retic has been out for a week a few times when she was rubbing her face raw in a previous cage. I currently have a male Burmese out until he receives a new cage. I have male and female retics and male and female Burms and I've never witnessed anything I can call predatory from my well-fed, well-acclimated, highly tractable snakes. I always let them out of their cage when I clean it- switching territories altogether since I am in the cage to clean it and they are in the "human" room. So I would like to hear about the real life ambushes- not because I don't agree with the predatory nature of my snakes - I just haven't seen the ambush I hear others speaking of. Also how large can a cage be before it promotes this ambush behavior? Thanks in advance,
::Marcia

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]