kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

rubbermaid

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by peeloutyourface on May 12, 2003 at 11:24:36:

In Reply to: Turtles Living in Cramped Quarters posted by laurenk on May 12, 2003 at 01:49:31:

you can buy a rubbermaid container. i dont have one but ive heard other people who use them. theyre only around $15 and can be about 55gallons or so and sometimes bigger. thats a cheaper alternative.
easy to clean, lightweight

:Hi,
:Last year, my mom bought my little sister two red-earred sliders from a pet store. They told her that they could live happily in a 10 gallon tank and would not get more than a couple of inches across. Well, now she has two big turtles that seem to just keep getting bigger. Now another pet store has told her that sliders can live in her backyard (it's 30 degrees at night where she lives and will get up to the 100s in the summer time.) I told her this probably wasn't a good idea. She is concerned because she is reluctant to buy a bigger tank (i.e. 30 or 40 gallons) because she doesn't know how to care for the tank (oh yeah, the pet store also told her that she didn't need to clean the cage, just needed a filter and that the turtles didn't need a light.)

:So, does she need a bigger tank? What size is a good size for 2 turtles? How do you keep a tank that size clean? Do you have to change the water often? Will a filter suffice? I figure that if I don't get figure this out, they will continue to live in cramped quarters.

:Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:Lauren

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]