kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Turtles Living in Cramped Quarters

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by dsres on May 12, 2003 at 10:56:18:

In Reply to: Turtles Living in Cramped Quarters posted by laurenk on May 12, 2003 at 01:49:31:

BTW, stunt's comment was correct. Needs to be a UVB light. They often have names like Reptisun.
Their home should be bigger but here is an old shot of my set up.
1. UVB Light
2. basking light
3. some sort of ramp and external basking area
4. underwater heating to keep the water temp constant
5. thermometer
6. filter. I had a dinky little one but upgraded to an external more powerful (Fluval 104) for my 10 gal tank.
I think people have similar set ups for larger tanks but you get the idea. I think it spend like $200 on this 10 gal set up.

I originally got the turts thinking these tiny cute turts would be easy to take care of like a goldfish in a fishbowl. They turned out to be more work but worth it for me. But its not cheap and they do live a long time. Good luck.
:Hi,
:Last year, my mom bought my little sister two red-earred sliders from a pet store. They told her that they could live happily in a 10 gallon tank and would not get more than a couple of inches across. Well, now she has two big turtles that seem to just keep getting bigger. Now another pet store has told her that sliders can live in her backyard (it's 30 degrees at night where she lives and will get up to the 100s in the summer time.) I told her this probably wasn't a good idea. She is concerned because she is reluctant to buy a bigger tank (i.e. 30 or 40 gallons) because she doesn't know how to care for the tank (oh yeah, the pet store also told her that she didn't need to clean the cage, just needed a filter and that the turtles didn't need a light.)

:So, does she need a bigger tank? What size is a good size for 2 turtles? How do you keep a tank that size clean? Do you have to change the water often? Will a filter suffice? I figure that if I don't get figure this out, they will continue to live in cramped quarters.

:Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:Lauren

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]