kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Undergravel filteration for dirt build ups?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by Mayo on April 16, 2003 at 08:29:45:

In Reply to: Undergravel filteration for dirt build ups? posted by ericasa on April 12, 2003 at 13:07:34:

I my years in the aquarium hobby, I have determined that about 50% of people love them, and the other see no use in them. I am one that actually likes them. I do not have one with the turtle, but I do have a complete one in one of my tanks (complete meaning the undergravel part and the clear piping with small air stones), and an incomplete one with my oscars (incomplete meaning only the undergravel part). I know from this you are thinking to yourself, "what does this do?" I actually know people that have used only an undergravel filter for both salt and fresh tanks. When complete the air bubbles that travel up the clear tubes create a "flow" of water from the open tank, through the gravel (where is is filtered by the gravel) and back out the tubes. Since my oscars destroy the piping, I can only use the base, though this does not function the way it was meant. What happens for me is that the "gunk" settles to the bottom and gets trapped in the gravel. When I go to vacuum the tank, I just place the siphon over one of the piping holes (which I keep covered) and it sucks out all the crap. I also does this on my working UG filters, just pop off a tube, and siphon all the junk under the base. This really beats having to stir up the gravel and scratch up the tank while moving the gravel around. Hope this helps. I am a definite proponent of the system, but some will swear to their death that they do absolutely nothing. If it works for you, as it does for me, great for you. If not, join the 50% of the crowd that seems them as useful as a waterbucket with a hole in the bottom.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]