kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: still won't bask

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by peeloutyourface on April 14, 2003 at 22:40:20:

In Reply to: Re: still won't bask posted by jimsworld on April 14, 2003 at 17:15:03:

how long should they be out of the water at one time? how many times a day/week/whatever?

:I would suggest setting up a basking light outside the aquarium, that is escape proof and put him there every so often. Diseases can start from a turtle staying too wet all the time. I have had to do this several times in the past with babies. They will eventually get the idea and start basking on their own. Hope this helps..

:::my turtle still isnt basking. i have the water at about 75-76. the basking spot is at about 88-90. i'm pretty sure he can get onto the basking spot. i got him a little floating island and i weighed half of it down with a rock so he can easily get onto it. i made a little ramp on the right side of it so he can climb up on it too. he never comes out of the water. he just sleeps all day by clinging onto the plants. i have a uvb light as well across the whole tank. he is eating brine shrimp also.

::You may try getting another turtle for a friend to play with i did that and now theyre fine eating, basking, normal some may say otherwise but I do think they get lonely and its sad to see only one I have 5 including an albino and a pastel they get along great all together---good luck
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]