kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Asian Vine Snakes/Green Vine Snakes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by tj on May 04, 2003 at 15:25:28:

In Reply to: Asian Vine Snakes/Green Vine Snakes posted by Leila3478 on May 04, 2003 at 13:32:49:

Leila, try the ahaetulla vineyard, I don't know the exact address, but you should be able to find it through a search, it has quite abit of good stuff. Mine were good feeders, they went after anything that moved, and would eat three times a week if they could. I generally don't feed anything more than once or twice a week though. I kept mine around 78-80 during the day ( a basking lamp should be sufficient if you have reasonable airflow ), with an area of cooler temp, and about 70 or so at night. I would spray them down thoroughly twice a day, and it seemed fine for them. The biggest problem I had was feeding them lizards, I got sick of it, so I got rid of em'.
As far as handling them goes, mine were very docile at first, then for some reason one became very defensive. They can be temperamental at times, so be careful. The venom isn't supposed to be very strong, and they need to get a good bite to do any harm, so I wouldn't worry too much. If they seem stressed and flighty, let them be.
Hope this helps a little. Try the website I gave ya, it'll help alot more. I am curious about one thing though, who did you purchase them from? You can contact me privately if you want.
Good luck
-tj

:A couple of weeks ago at a reptile show I purchased what was supposedly a captive born Asian Vine Snake. I had been in love with the species for a while, but I didn't expect to run into any and I was concerned about what I'd read about their nasty temperment.

:The snake at the show was very docile and comfortable being handled, and the price was really low, I happened to have the perfect enclosure for him at home given to me by a friend who had no more use for it, so it seemed too good an opportunity to pass up.

:The first week I had him he fed on a gecko as soon as I offered it to him, and he deffecated shortly afterwards, no sign of parasites. Last week when I offered him food he didn't take, and this week he didn't either. His throat looks a little swollen, and his scales seem to be darker and much more pronounced.

:Now, it occured to me he might be about to shed and that could be all it is, but I wondered if anyone else had an opinion? I've noticed care information about these guys is hard to come by, so any tips or suggestions would be great.

:For those of you who keep these guys successfully, what temp and humidity percentage do you keep them at? What kind of feeding schedule are they on? Do you handle them a lot? Etc, etc. Like I said, any information would be great.

:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]