kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Woohoo, finally (boomslangs mating)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Chance on March 18, 2003 at 23:50:16:

After many weeks (or even months) of waiting and watching, it happened tonight (or at least, I caught it happening for the first time tonight). My smaller female boom shed about three days ago, so I had a feeling it might finally be time, and today I noticed that her cloaca appeared sligtly swollen. Just incase they were wanting to breed, the booms were moved to an enclosure that was a bit more horizontal than the old one so as to allow for easier lining up and copulation to occur. After about 30 minutes of watching the male excitedly chase the female around the enclosure, and thinking that he'd never get her lined up just right, finally he managed it, and copulation took place. It seems fast in this species, only lasting 15 to 20 minutes for this occurrence, but hopefully it was enough. I'm betting they'll copulate a couple of more times over the next few days until she for sure takes.

The other darker and bigger female is in the blue right now, so I'm assuming that when she finishes, she too will be ready to breed. As of right now they are all housed in the same enclosure, so he can breed with either one any number of times he wants to.

As soon as I load the pictures into the computer, I'll post a couple of the male courting the female, and then of when he was finally able to get her in the right position. Watching him court her was amazing. I've never seen a snake act so excitedly before, however after many seemingly failed tries at getting in the right angle, he succeeded. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for fertily.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]