kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Opinions vary

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Jeremy G on November 21, 2002 at 13:12:21:

In Reply to: Opinions vary posted by Chance on November 16, 2002 at 22:52:11:

"C.b. animals are always preferable, but sometimes not practical (such as when someone has a supposed "c.b." mangrove, decides he's the only one in the world with one, and asks a heck of a lot more than the animal would ever be worth for it, lol). Anyway, hope this helped a little."

I think your being a bit harsh but im not sure price tag on the animal you were reffering too. I have seen MANY WC Mangroves at various shows for around 45 bucks. These snakes were not even fit for feeding to a king! They were absolutely pitiful as are most imported mangroves. On the other hand, the very small number of people who actually produce this sp offer CB babies in the low $100s. This is a very fair deal for a captive bred dendrophilia and if you think that is high, look into another hobby!

Captive bred animals will always be worth more then WC, no matter what and I am fine with this. People put alot of time into em and deserve to up the price tag for their efforts. Plus, the quality is alwats excellent.

Of cource, if you see a supposed CB for around 500, well, that is very ridiculous.

J

::Hi, I've done alot of searching and have bacically come up with nothing regarding how toxic the Mangrove snake really is, and what type of toxin it carries. Can some of you that are working with this snake give me some info on the danger levels of working with this snake, and some basic care requirements? I'm not planning to get one, it's more of a curiosity from my interest in this species!

:I've heard mangrove envenomation described varying from almost no effects, to mild neurotoxicity, including nausia, headache, and both fatigue and giddiness. This wide range of described symptoms are probably because of the amount of venom the victim let the snake chew into them. More would always be worse. For specific venom facts, I'd ask Bryan Fry (or BGF on these forums) as he's doing lots of research on various colubrid venoms. Judging by the wide range of degrees mangrove envenomation can cause, I'd say that pretty good precautions should be undertaken when working with them. You never know when you might be that first person to go down in history as dieing from a mangrove bite...be it from your own sensitivity or from a particularly toxic individual. As far as general care advice, I keep 1.1 of these animals. I keep mine together, though that's not always advisable as cannibalism can certainly happen in this sp. I'm just hoping for some breeding attempts. They can be very finicky eaters, some only wanting to take reptiles. Some, however, can do great on rodents. Mine seem to prefer baby rats in the early fuzzy stage, alive. I haven't been able to get them to take mice just yet. They are nocturnal so they would require a hide for the daytime hours, and the humidity should be moderate to high, as they are from tropical areas in the wild. Some mangroves can be very aggressive snakes that just love to try and bite (like my male), and some can be rather calm and seemingly not mind handling when necessary (like my female). Every one is individual. Unfortunately, most of these animals offered on the market are w.c., as evidently it is sometimes difficult to get them to breed readily in captivity. C.b. animals are always preferable, but sometimes not practical (such as when someone has a supposed "c.b." mangrove, decides he's the only one in the world with one, and asks a heck of a lot more than the animal would ever be worth for it, lol). Anyway, hope this helped a little.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]