kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: mangrove snake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Chance on November 01, 2002 at 22:35:16:

In Reply to: mangrove snake posted by Redtailboa1 on November 01, 2002 at 22:12:36:

:is the mangrove snake a more aggressive species than a fwc?

I currently keep both 1.1 mangroves and 1.1 FWCs, so I may be able to give you some insight. First off, there is never anything set in stone about a particular snake's temperament. Black mambas are known to be aggressive, however I'm sure there are some individuals that are very placid. Mangroves tend to have a nasty temperament stigma attached to them, however I have a female is all but completely hand tame and a male that only strikes if he gets really upset (which is rare). Same probably goes for FWCs. My two animals are both relatively tame. They will let you handle them and don't try to bite. However, there is one aspect you have to consider when comparing these two species.

FWCs can be incredibly docile...UNTIL it's feeding time. These animals have some of the most psychotic feeding responces I've ever seen in a snake. They will literally chase anything that moves, no matter how large, and will bite almost blindly. This, combined with the rather large size they can reach (both of my individuals are over 5' and very heavy), can make a bite from one very unpleasant. That, and I've heard their jaw power described in terms like "the bulldog of rear-fangs." So keep that in mind.

FWCs and mangroves reach around the same length at adulthood, that is somewhere between 5' and 8'. FWCs are terrestrial, mostly diurinal, semi-aquatic, heavy-bodied snakes. Mangroves are arboreal, nocturnal, relatively thin-bodied snakes (though the ones that are pushing 8' can be surprisingly huge). Mangroves can have VERY picky eating habits, like mine, which seem to ONLY want rat fuzzies alive. Some I've heard will eat pretty much anything you throw in front of them. You won't see them during the day unless you force them to be out in the open (i.e. don't provide a hide for them), which can cause undue stress. Personally I consider FWCs to be better suited for most keepers. They are certainly easier to feed and deal with, though on the bite factor, I'd probably rather take a hit from a mangrove than a FWC.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]