kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Dendrelaphis envenoming

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by WW on October 16, 2002 at 07:07:42:

In Reply to: Re: Dendrelaphis & Stegonotus info (BGF?) *pics* posted by Gernot Vogel on October 15, 2002 at 12:45:57:

:I’m more in the genus Dendrelaphis myself, as I published two articles on this genus. I could cite a lot of references saying these snakes are aglyph, meaning not rear-fanged. Boulenger showed a drawing of the teeth in his Catalogue, I counted the teeth for my publication in 1999. I never heard of a case of envenoming by this genus and surely nobody was seriously injured by them.

There is one paper out which described swelling and pain from "Ahaetulla papuae", presumably D. papuensis under present-day nomenclature:

Neill, W.T. 1949. Two cases of snake bite in New Guinea. Copeia (3):228-229. Reports Ahaetulla papuae bite - inflammation, pain, swelling in axilla.

Taken from link below.

Nothing serious, for sure, but it does reinforce the point that irrespective of tooth configuration, many colubrids do have toxins and can introduce them in a bite.

Cheers,

Wolfgang

:I just tried to help some people with there questions. I did not know, that I´m bothering someone with this. Do you think the people will be careful with a Rhabdophis or Thelotornis, if you tell them, every snake is poisonous?
:Could you please post me your name?
:Thank you

:

:::Hello, Dendrelaphis and Stegonotus are no rear fanged snakes and not poisonous.

::And you are basing this upon what observations? When was the last time you popped open one of their mouths and had a look? When was the last time you milked a colubrid?

::Both are definately rearfanged in that both possess duvernoy's glands and Stegnotus has quite well developed teeth on top of that.

::Cheers
::BGF

::
::

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]