Posted by Trust on September 05, 2002 at 13:24:20:
Well, not to worry, it was a southern ringneck. They are classified as non-venomous, but I've heard they are rear-fanged. The snake was so tiny, only about 4-5 inches long. It got her right on the skin between her thumb and forefinger, about the only place it could have bitten and got a hold. It latched on and refused to let go. I had to gently pry its jaws open with a fingernail. It was on for a good two minutes. She found it in our backyard under a board.
She had a couple very tiny puncture marks with a little blood visible, but there was no symptoms at all, although she said it was a little itchy. As a precaution, because she is allergic to a lot of things, I gave her some antihistimine after getting the snake off her.
She was not mad at the snake, and put it back under the board. LOL