kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

H. gigas Breeding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Chance on August 19, 2002 at 09:55:45:

I finally found a male adult FWC for our big female. So now I have a few questions pertaining to breeding. Both snakes are of breeding age, and for now, I'm housing them together in hopes of them hitting it off right off the bat. I need to know a few things though. I've been reading online about other people's attempts to breed them. I've bred kingsnakes before, so is FWC breeding similar to other colubrid breeding? With the kings, they would copulate, sometimes multiple times, and then about 6 to 7 weeks later the female would shed, then about 7 to 10 days after that she would lay. Is this the same for FWCs?
Assuming I get a chance to catch them copulating, I'm going to start timing the gestation period. When would it be best to remove the male from the enclosure? Also, like with the kings, should I remove the water container from the female's enclosure? I've heard of a few people having their snakes lay in the water bowl and subsequently the eggs all died. Yet I do know how important water is to these snakes. I'm guessing I'd be able to remove the water bowl after she sheds at least until she lays, so that I don't take any chances, but if anyone sees any problems with this let me know. Anyway, thanks for reading. I'd appreciate any responces.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]