kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Whats a good rear-fanged snake to start with???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Chance on August 16, 2002 at 09:10:25:

In Reply to: Whats a good rear-fanged snake to start with??? posted by Tarahumara on August 14, 2002 at 21:54:52:

I'd have to say that Hydrodynastes gigas would be your best bet to start out with. They are very hardy snakes, usually eat anything you throw in front of them (except gerbils seemingly...), however they don't really fit your description of mildly aggressive all that well. Most FWCs are quite docile, as is mine. However, if you ever did let one clamp onto you, get ready for some mutilated flesh. Be cautious though, as they're rumored to possess a venom that can hold it's own against Crotalus horridus (timber rattlesnake). Another very good rear-fang that readily overlooked are the American and Madagascan hognoses. They usually make some of the best pet snakes, though not many colubrids on Earth can be as stunning as a fully grown FWC. Even my 5' female shocks me everytime I enter the snake room. That girl is huge already.

I most highly recommend the FWC above all others. With rear-fangs, you're going to possibly run into a few problems, such as problem feeders, specialty feeders (i.e. A. prasina, which each mostly lizards), and sometimes very aggressive snakes, like most mangroves are reputed to be (though ours is quite docile). Flase water's generally tend to be your "garbage disposal" snake, the one that will eat the prey that the other snakes do not. They are, or can be, fairly costly though, but I've seen many hatchlings offered for around $100. Hope this helped.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]