kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Not Tony but...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Jeremy M on August 13, 2002 at 19:33:38:

In Reply to: Not Tony but... posted by henry on August 13, 2002 at 07:15:37:

:You only need lights for the plants, and most importantly don't use newly-purchased plants. They are loaded with pesticides that may take as long as 6 weeks to pass through the plants' system.

:They need heat in the range of 82-86ºF but I have found that if they are drinking well humidity only needs to be 70-75%, rather than the 80-90% you may hear. With a misting system bear in mind that you have to keep it very very clean, as bacteria and fungus can grow in it and that's counterproductive. Keeping the substrate slightly moist may be a better alternative.

:I feed mine once a week and provide enough food to make a slightly fat snake out of them, but the bulge should subside in a day and-a-half. Be careful that the anoles are small enough. Anoles can get lucky enough to latch on -- even when the snake is latched on to them too -- and if there's a standoff your prasina may struggle until she dies of exhaustion.

:- henry

Thanks Henry. I've rebuilt the tank with a waterfall she drinks out of. It feeds back into a reservior under a false floor in the tank. It goes through the bark substrate and keeps it wet al the time. I rarely have to mist as the humidity stays around 84%. Getting food is no problem as I have a friend who supplies me. She has what appear to be brown scabby patches on her side that im told are parasites. I've been told that the cure is a potent spray which has a chance of killing the snake along with the parasites. Are there any alternative medications for these snakes? thanks again!
-Jeremy M

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]