kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Glad I could throw out some helpful info . . .>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by terryp on February 13, 2003 at 22:30:07:

In Reply to: Thanks Terry for the great detials on the origin of.. posted by gofer on February 13, 2003 at 15:26:46:

I checked the stories myself basically because I knew Glenn here in Bakersfield and he mentioned his partner Todd having the project. I don't have a het or albino because like I said I like the normals. That's just my preference and likes. I don't agree with the people who say integrade. They (the normal Texas Bairds) did disappear to Germany for like 10 or 14 years and then come back to Todd as albinos. The ones who say integrade are having trouble coming up with the species that contributed the gene. Just crying foul doesn't convince me they are crosses. If it was crossed it would have been in Germany. Can you imagine getting another snake like a black rat snake or yellow rat snake into Germany let alone the Bairds. European breeders are more purists than we are. They are still behind us in accepting and doing hybrids. Quite frankly, I think they took Texas bairds w/c over to Germany to produce the nice normals I like and appreciate. When they kicked out albinos it actually had the opposite effect of being great and they looked to get them back to the US. An albino bairds isn't what they wanted to produce in Germany. They wanted to produce normal w/c. Just my thoughts. Heck, do you see breeders producing morphs in Asians like we do here on our species. How come a w/c hyponelanistic dione female is not kept in China and used for the gene pool there? A hypomelanistic female dione is colleced in China and makes it to Hong Kong to be sent to the U.S. It lingers in Hong Kong for months and months. She has now made it to the United States and still has not been purchased or bred. Geez, they find a hypo dione female and its been like a year and she still hasn't been bred to anything. Asia really didn't care to produce morphs. If I find a homozygous female snake around here for a morph that isn't being bred now. I'm breeding her every chance I can get. I need to start getting hets now. Well, Go Figure.

:them and the nice comments too, greatly appreciated. I never even thought about the 100% from Germany...since they do not occur there in nature, LOL never hit me. Thanks though for your help and details. I am putting it all into my bairdi notes for future reference if needed. Thanks again, and have a good day.
:Gregg F.

::behind and have confidence in him, than they are 100% pure Bairdi. That's all you can do. You like their color and you've done the checking to a point your happy, then congratulations Gregg. You have a very nice albino Bairdi. By the way, the albino Bairdi originated in a wild caught normal Bairdi collected in Texas and then taken to Germany where an albino popped out of a clutch. If the albino originated in Germany, then it is not 100% Bairdi unless there are native Bairdi in Germany. I've talked with Glenn and he also stands 100% behind these as beingf 100% albino bairdi. There was talk of a cross being a black rat snake. I'm not convinced a cross ever happened in any way. I mentioned I had heard it as a yellow rat snake. Crossing with a yellow would make more sense as the yellow rat changes its blotches to stripes as a Bairdi does. If you cross the Bairdi with a black rat snake, I would think the blotches may be less likely to turn to stripes and an adult Bairdi with blotches would be hard to convince me that it's pure. Good luck with you Bairdi Gregg.

::
:::bairdi. He is 100% sure about them, and told me they started in Germany. I know of a few others working with them, so i have no doubt they are true bairdi. And as far as looks go, i love the way they look. I like normal phases also, which is why i wanted to buy hets. THis way i get both phases! Works out great. As the albino gets older he gets more and more yellow in color. I will take some new pics this spring. Hope this helped a little. Have a good one,
:::Gregg F.

:::
::::Is it possible to convince this "Todd" to post somethng about them online? I don't know the guy, and I dont want to really even question his veracity, but wouldn't it be great to figure out the actual locality of these guy's ancestors.
::::Wow! To pin down where these came from could really stir some interest.
::::I know I am excited about it.
::::Amels aren't at all what I am after, and in fact, neither is the "hypo," but new bairdi morphs are almost unheard of thus far.
::::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]