kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: taiwan beauty -02

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by Kestrel on January 28, 2003 at 14:33:01:

In Reply to: Re: taiwan beauty -02 posted by colubridman on January 27, 2003 at 18:47:47:

Wow i had no idea they had slower metabolisms. You'd expect since they are the largest, they'd have faster, to grow. Odd.. Although I did think it was pretty fast for my ridleyi to be fed 2 large fuzzies(he did end up eating the other one), and have it crapped out 2 days later.. sheesh. And i thought my taiwans were bad.

:Good choice! I have some snakes that I paid many more times for but I love these guys. They are one of the most interesting snakes to handle that I have.
:You can pretty much use the old guide of feeding them items that are no larger than the size of their largest diameter. You can use this as a guide when they are 1.5ft or 8ft. They can eat large food items and will eat every day if you let them but it's definatly not best for them. Although they do have fast metabolisms they dont have as fast a metabolisms as all the other beauty snakes I keep and are much quicker to get fat.
:They can grow so fast that you can figure you will need a different size rodent every 2 or 3 months or so for their first year and a half.
:I keep my adults in 2ft by 3ft cages but feel that they would be best in 2ft by 4ft cages or larger.
:Good luck and enjoy (and you will)!
:PS Here is a picture of a female (and her boyfriend)that I had allowed to get to heavy a while back.
:Later, Randy Whittington

:
::I recently acquired a trio of these beautiful snakes, and was curious as to what size food they should be fed. I bought them from Rick Cunningham who said they were eating 2 pinks a week. they are about 1.5 ft. in length i'd say. i have already moved them up to small fuzzies and was just curious as to what they can eat cause i will probly be ordering them some food pretty soon. thanks to all who respond in advance. also, a bonus question to anyone who has or has kept these....what size enclosure did you use for adults? Thankyou.
::Travis.

:

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]