kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

First off, you're doing this in the wrong order . . .>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by terryp on January 25, 2003 at 09:15:31:

In Reply to: I need your opinions... posted by blue_beauty on January 24, 2003 at 20:39:41:

inquire and get information on the snake and husbandry; then decide which snake you may want. I just scrolled down this forum and saw posts on almost all the snakes you listed. I don't know if I saw one still on moellendorfi, but there were a couple threads recently. Go to these posts and e-mail the people who did some of the posts. Get information on care and species, etc. from these people who have or had them. Find out prices and availability for this season. You will probably need to get on one of the breeders lists for offspring. Get all the information you can from the breeders (trust me, they love to give you info on the snakes they are working with). With the exeception of the Spilotes, the other species you listed are Asians. If you don't have any Asians now, I wouldn't pick just working with one species. I would make a committment to work with several that have care and requirements very close to each other. Everyone of the snakes you listed would be great to have in a collection if you provide all the things required for it. I currently have climacs and spilotes in my collection. One isn't a better snake than the other to have in my collection. They are both very nice snakes. If you don't think you would want to have several different species of Asians, then I would lean to the spilotes. Don't pick up one Asian species for your collection and all the rest are North American. IMHO. Terry Cox is an excellent hobbyist/breeder with his focus now on Asian rat snakes. I would recommend you check one of his posts on this forum and shoot him an e-mail. He loves questions. I got a pair of South Korean diones from him this past year and I have a couple things on the burner from him in the future. I really recommend e-mailing people who breed and work with these species and then decide the snake you want next. Heck, get a couple of them this year. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]