kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

OK, humbled once again,lol...n/p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by Jeff Schofield on January 14, 2003 at 23:41:38:

In Reply to: First off its OBSOLETA... thank you... posted by Dwight Good on January 14, 2003 at 22:59:33:

:Hi, I have noticed a remarkable array of morphs around for a while but I am unsure of the "purity" and availability of some of these. I am not into arguing crosses here, just trying to create a definitive list of genetic morphs--and maybe the stories behind them. I will start, feel free to add or correct--
:Blacks--red albino, lavender albino, brindle,white sided

:For more info on the black rat morphs you have listed above, see Bechtel and Bechtel, 1985, Genetics of color mutations in the snake, Elaphe obsoleta, Journal of Heredity, 76:7-11. Or for a more genearal summary see Bechtel, 1995, Reptile and Amphibian Variants Colors Patterns and Scales, Krieger Publishing.

:If you contact George Miskimon he can give you the rundown on the history of the licorice stick morph.

:There are quite a few morphs of the black rat snake 'out there' if you look. Striped, motley, calico, patternless, xanthic, 'chocolate chip', paradox albino, etc. Good luck in your research.

::Yellow--(2?)red albino, lavender albino, (2?)aneryth

:This is a fun one... as you are probably aware there are a few yellow rat projects out there that are not pure quadrivittata. With that said, I'll add a few yellow rat morphs to your list: calico, snow, axanthic.

::Glades--whitesided(ghost), "HYPO"(albino)

:How about the 'blotchless' morph? Babies are born with broken stripes rather than the typical blotched pattern.

::Texas--red albino, lavender albino, leucistic,aneryth(?)

:I think TravisG nailed this one pretty well. That snow texas is sweet looking, ;))

::Bairds--albino

:NOT OBSOLETA, lol... therefore doesn't count!

:Did you forget about the lowly GREY RAT SNAKE?

:Morphs include albino, hypo, patternless, striped, and possible others?

:Later,
:dg

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]